The brief for our House 2 overhaul in tropical north Queensland was to generally ‘tidy up’ the unit, making it fit for the next new couple or small family to call it their home. Much to my disappointment, you must keep in mind the brief wasn’t to style a beautiful home with colour, throw cushions and artwork (suitable for re-sale), but rather leave plain Jane basic (that way nothing gets stolen or broken which means more money to replace).
// Getting the old out to make room for the new with a serious tip run of junk, furniture, rubbish and loads of rusty kitchen utensils and dead plants.
// We (finally) replaced the number 8 on the front door with a solid adhesive sticker in a cinch.
// My right arm is still in pain from the two and three coats of ceiling white (4L), internal walls (20L), and high gloss placed on all the internal doors and architraves (4L). More on DIY painting to follow.
// We purchased and installed a new front door entrance lock and silver matt internal door handles, including a privacy lock for under the stairs in an attempt to keep our paint and tools separate. (Tenants have a habit of throwing out our stuff, and pilling their junk and leaving it under the stairs even after they’ve exited).
// I felt the gold lights needed to go, so we easily sprayed the two bedroom fittings with matt white paint. They came up really nicely. (Yes we will share Before and After pics shortly).
// All cudos to Luke as he unclogged the bathroom vanity basin, replaced the shower washers (like we did here at home) and also installed a new S Trap for kitchen sink.
// I gave the bathroom, kitchen floors and every fitting in the place a serious work out with CLR (for at least three tedious hours). I’m sure I’m three kilos lighter for it too. #whoneedsgym
// And I cleaned under the fridge, washing machine, kitchen kick-boards and stairwell as these are places a tenant is never going to venture. (Yes, some say i’m OCD, but they were pretty darn grubby).
// To make the sink look slightly prettier, I added hot & cold stickers. (Much to Luke’s disgust, but for $3 hey, I was doin’ it).
// We removed all the wall hooks (as we’d previously placed loads in the render when we lived there) and now filled them with silicone (as we didn’t have any putty on hand) and later painted over the top. Never to be seen again!
// I hated the ugly yellow switches so we did spend a hefty amount (around $90, yikes) on replacing most of them with new white ones. I think it’s worth it. Do you?
// The carpet was brand new when we moved out (seven years ago) however in corners and near skirtings it was starting to pull, so I simply cut the dangles for a much tidier finish.
// We’re quite proud of our ‘budget’ lounge makeover which consisted of four standard pillows and four square throw inserts which all came in packs of two from Big W for about $5 each. After stuffing the inserts the lounge and cushions looked so much plumper and more comfortable. Like new again (almost).
// New matress protectors and white fitted sheets were also bought and placed snug on both beds to cover the (not so desirable) mattress colours and stains. A homemade valance also worked a treat from an old cream fitted sheet (as I couldn’t find a damn valance in the whole of Airlie Beach).
// We purchased loads of new items including a toilet brush, broom, dustpan and broom, sink plugs, cockroach baits, a new kettle and toaster (with warranties) and another smoke alarm to replace the old broken one.
// I scrubbed both balconies with a water bucket and old broom and Luke removed this wasp nest you may have seen on our video tour with a tin of Mortein and some courage before he flew home. (I wasn’t going anywhere near that after being stung on the ear a few months back mowing our lawn. Frig they hurt!)
If you were wondering, the entire renovation (excluding fuel, last minute flights, accommodation and food) cost us $587 AUD (which is of course tax deductible).
The Wish List.
Over time (and with more cash) we hope to keep enhancing the unit with the likes of ::
// Replacing the two fluro lights in kitchen area. (These are horrible, but do give off loads of light).
// Wallpaper the built in robes with something like this from Bunnings. (I can’t wait to do this. I’ve even googled how to install here).
// I’m desperate to buy and install a new front door fly screen (one that doesn’t creak and slam).
// Install a new custom kitchen counter top in a laminate colour like this.
// I’d like to make and hang new curtains throughout.
// And add some aesthetics with green throw cushions and a few wall pictures such as above the toilet and at the end of the upstairs hallway. (If Luke let’s me, ha).
// Hanging a wall clock in the kitchen may help break the ‘motel’ feel.
// Install the front gate hook into the block wall to prop open the gate. (We bought one but didn’t have a hammer drill to install correctly).
// Clean and paint the ‘Harry Potter’ stairs door.
// Oh, and I almost forgot, we desperately need a new oven. For $579 an electrician will be installing something like this one from Betta.
Then I think she’d be fit for a
queen nice couple, ahh, that would be nice.