We’re no strangers to DIY wheelbarrow creations having crafted a few in our time of colourful petunias and herbs. So when I eyed this rustic red number in the stable (only last week), I knew we had an opportunity to bring him to life again – with hydrangeas.
I must admit, I was quite disappointed when we wheeled him out of the stable to find the bottom was almost completely rusted through (damn).
We were very determined to still resurrect him so Luke (brilliantly) came up with the idea to place an off-cut of roofing iron (gently) inside to give it some ‘hold’.
Excellent – we were still in business.
And here’s what I’d prepared earlier.
|Wheelbarrow||$0||Found in stable from former tenants.|
|Roofing iron||$0||Extracted from old chicken coop roof.|
|White exterior paint||$0||Found in the laundry cupboard.|
|Sponge||$0||Snapped up in Luke’s trailer.|
|Old metal bucket||$0||Found in the top shed.|
|Hydrangeas x 5||$10 each (bargain)||$50 from the Logan River Tree Farm.|
|Osmocote (fertilizer)||$0||Free, from the nice man at Logan River Tree Farm.|
|Paint brush (that I didn’t really use on the barrow)||$9||From Canungra wardware.|
|Potting Mix (only used just over one bag)||$10 per bag||From Canungra wardware.|
I did get a little carried away in my painting attire and decided to jazz up an old pot while I was at it. The perfect new home for our gifted pink orchid.
This is a complete side note, but Luke FINALLY pulled down the old chicken coop (loads more pics + a new coop coming soon).
First things first, he needed a good wipe over (to remove all spiders and scary things).
And then I decided to simply sponge white paint. I wanted a rustic look which I’m quite happy to peel off and weather in due course. So sponge I did.
Note I would have been quite happy to leave it red if I’d bought blue hydrangeas, but as I’m not a fan of pink and red, I had to paint him.
Then came time to fill the barrow with potting mix (only use the good stuff) and Osmocote.
I didn’t drill any water holes as remember it was almost rusted out and will drain perfectly fine as is. (If you’re trying at home with a better barrow, you will need a few holes).
I thought I’d also share this pic. A few rocks in the bottom of a pot also allows the water to drain whilst not dripping all over your bench (if it’s an indoor plant such as the orchid).
Here’s the finished product!
As they take up such little space, they’re perfect on decks and in ugly nooks to brighten up a spot. You should give one a go this weekend!