Meet Carlene Duffy – the gorgeous gal who made her debut into interior design on the home renovation show – The Block 2014 and subsequently Reno Rumble. Since starring on the reality programs with hubby Michael, the young Gold Coast family have launched into a new biz venture – Cedar & Suede – a design and construct service (with a kick ass name to match), where Carlene injects her rich and moody use of colour for eager clients.
The duo are now fiercely taking on the design industry with ambassadorships galore plus radio and TV appearances, with brands and talent agencies wanting them on their team.
Her recent accolades include nominations for the Gold Coast’s Top 50 Best Dressed women (which you can nominate for her here) plus the duo hold the sought after gong for being statistically ranked as the best couple to ever appear on The Block (according to Domain who’ve done the sums).
I’ve always loved the saying, there’s a greater women behind every great man, and I wanted to get the inside scoop into how this young mum and entrepreneur Carlene ticks and achieves. How does she manage to take on the competitive design world – and gracefully nail it with a smile every time?
20 Questions in 120 Seconds with Carlene Duffy
1. What time do you set your alarm in the mornings?
I don’t anymore, somehow I manage to be up at 5.30am which gives me 30 minutes of work before I start the before school routine.
2. Do you work from a laptop or desktop?
3. What’s your favourite piece of furniture?
4. Do you have a favourite colour?
Not according to my home interior.
5. What’s your middle name?
6. Are you a cereal or toast lover for brekkie?
Toast (with eggs every morning). Never cereal, it doesn’t sustain me.
7. Do you have any pets?
No but a dog is on the cards.
8. Are you a DIYer or crafty type?
Not at all. I don’t have the patience or time for it but I do tend to paint everything in sight.
9. Who’s your favourite celebrity?
Kate Hudson. Love her!
10. Name one thing in your handbag right now.
11. What’s the most unusual item in your fridge?
A strange antioxidant concoction of made up of ancient berries and things I’ve never heard of.
12. Can you touch type?
No but I’m really fast regardless.
13. How many throw cushions are on your lounge?
Five at the moment but more often than not they’re on the floor.
14. Iphone versus Android. Which are you?
We were provided Samsungs on The Block, which I still use and grew to love but I recently decided I’m switching back to iPhone now that the iphone6 has a larger screen.
15. Do you follow any sports?
None, I really loathe sport, very unAustralian.
16. Do you use fabric softener on your towels?
No!!!! This a huge no-no. We are brand ambassadors for DriGlo towels so we have recently learnt all the do’s and don’ts for caring for your towels. Don’t over-dry and never use fabric softener.
17. What’s your favourite pair of shoes?
18. Have you ever hired an interior designer?
Never and never will. My house, my rules, my way.
19. What has been your ‘highlight project’ to date? (The one your loved the most).
It’s probably still The Block because every aspect of it represents us whereas other projects we do are always influenced by the client’s brief and their likes and dislikes.
20. Name one kitchen appliance you can’t live without.
The kettle. I wake up with a cup of strong tea.
There you have it DIYers.
What was your favourite room of Michael and Carlene’s on The Block?